SAMBA_VERSION_VENDOR_SUFFIX in VERSION

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 29 20:15:34 UTC 2024

On Wed, 2024-05-29 at 08:42 +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical
wrote:
> 29.05.2024 00:42, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> > Kia Ora Samba packagers,
> > I just wanted to ask nicely if you could fillin
> > SAMBA_VERSION_VENDOR_SUFFIX in the VERSION file when you
> > buildSamba?
> > Debian does it like this:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/samba-team/samba/-/blob/master/debian/rules?ref_type=heads#L163
>
> That's an ugly hack really.. :)
> It'd be much better if samba had supported a way to specify
> versionsuffix at configure time on command line, like, for example,
>   ./configure --local-version-suffix="FooBar-432" ...
> or something, like many other software packages does.  Or at the
> veryleast, by specifying it in an *optional*, not included in the
> upstreamsource, file.  Changing an upstream source like this is the
> ugliesthack debian samba package now has, I'd say.

I'll see what I can do.
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company
Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions