Openchange and last Samba releases ?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 14 07:15:02 UTC 2024

On Mon, 13 May 2024 19:42:34 +0200
Andreas Schneider via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> On Monday, 13 May 2024 16:38:51 GMT+2 CpServiceSPb via
> samba-technical wrote:
> > Was anybody successful in building of Openchange with the latest
> > Samba versions ?
> > If yes, was it a git Openchage version or some customized/tuned one
> > ? And what was the Samba version ?
>
> Fedora and CentOS Stream are still building openchange:
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openchange

I have to ask, why ?
As far as I can see, the openchange code hasn't been updated for about
9 years. the openchange.org webpage is a holding page. To me, this
means that the openchange project (something that never reached
production quality) is dead.

If someone wants to pick up the openchange project and revitalise it,
then great, but it will not be easy, Samba has vastly changed since
openchange was last updated and I feel that a lot of the openchange
code will need rewriting to bring it up to date.

Rowland