Options for Samba LTS merge practices

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 10 22:29:05 UTC 2024

I've been thinking about how to do merges in our LTS repo at
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/lts-community/samba

I'm asking only for LTS as it is being done just in GitLab

I'm thinking this repo will, at least initially use

Merge commit with semi-linear history

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/methods/index.html#merge-commit-with-semi-linear-history

I think this avoids the branch spaghetti issue with merge commits and
keeps everything bisectable, while grouping patches (which is helpful
in this LTS environment) to ensure good traceability in this effort
back to the MRs with the approvals (upstream we do that in the
bugzilla).

Anyway, I wanted to check here for any strong views.

(If this goes well, perhaps we might consider something similar in our
main repo, but I'm not suggesting that now)

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company
Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions