Error messages and how they are presented to the common sysadmin

Douglas Bagnall douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Jul 29 22:08:47 UTC 2024

On 30/07/24 02:40, miguel medalha via samba-technical wrote:
> While using 'samba-tool dns', I received the following message:
>
> ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - LDAP error 1 LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR -
> <00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication> <>
>   File
> "/usr/local/samba/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
> line 285, in _run
>     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py",
> line 1375, in run
>     remove_dc.remove_dns_references(samdb, logger, dnshostname,
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/samba/remove_dc.py",
> line 101, in remove_dns_references
>     zones = samdb.search(base="", scope=ldb.SCOPE_SUBTREE,
>
> This message contains a lot of information that is useful only to coders.
> The common systems administrator will embark on too long a journey through
> all that haystack in search of the needle he desperately needs:
>
> ERROR : Operation unavailable without authentication

Thanks. We are working through these haphazardly.

The aim is to present known errors clearly and succinctly but not hide the
traceback when a genuinely unexpected thing happens. We never want the
short message to lie. It gets harder as we progress.

If you open bugs on https://bugzilla.samba.org we will not loose track.

The attached patch is probably right for this one.

Douglas