Joining a Windows DC to a Samba AD Domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 27 20:30:34 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-03-27 at 21:38 +0200, Björn Jacke wrote:
> On 27.03.23 20:54, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > It is meant to work, it just isn't typical.  Often used for
> > migrations out.
>
> I would say it works sufficiently for migration purposes, sure, but
> not
> for generic usage. Things that we still don't implement like
> adminCount
> (bug 13954) and probably some other small puzzle pieces will make
> people
> unhappy who will try to use Windows and Samba DCs side by side in
> production.
>
> Just my 2¢ ...
> Björn

This describes it well.  It surprised me that some folks were using
mixed domains when we didn't have Azure AD sync going, but neither did
they complain about issues.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions