Joining a Windows DC to a Samba AD Domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 27 18:54:15 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-03-27 at 15:45 +0200, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> Hi folks!
>  From all I know it is generally not recommended to join Windows DCs
> to to a Samba AD domain, is it?
> I've just came across the following two pages on our wiki:
> <
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD><https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2012_/_2012_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD
> >
> To avoid giving bad guidance I've added two prominent warnings at the
> top of the pages. Is this sensible? Is this correct? Thoughts?

It is meant to work, it just isn't typical.  Often used for migrations
out.
The WMI requirement seems to have gone away.
Andrew Bartlett--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead, Catalyst IT   https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Samba Development and Support, Catalyst.Net Limited
Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group company - Expert Open SourceSolutions