Ceph RADOS linearizable?

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Mar 8 14:53:31 UTC 2023

Hey David,

I'm currently doing some research into distributed databases. I'm
tracking candidates here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_on_Scale

One of the tricky things is figuring out the consistency level [1]
provided by the database. There's no public RADOS documentation that
clearly describes the consistency provided in industry standard terms,
I'm pretty sure it's linearizabile, but the only real reference
mentioning linearizability I could find is from a RADOS related research
paper that talks about adding support for weaker consistency levels:

http://www.cs.nthu.edu.tw/~ychung/conference/2016_ICPADS.pdf

Can you confirm whether RADOS is indeed Linearizabile? I'm pretty sure
it is, but would like to be sure. :)

Thanks!
-slow

[1] <https://jepsen.io/consistency>