Status of openat2() RESOLVE_NO_SYMLINKS on FreeBSD

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Mar 8 13:48:11 UTC 2023

Hi Andrew!

Do you, or anyone else, remember the status of using an analogue to
Linux openat2() RESOLVE_NO_SYMLINKS on FreeBSD?

In case you don't remember (iirc we've discussed this before) openat2()
RESOLVE_NO_SYMLINKS on Linux allows atomically checking a multicomponent
path for symlinks which avoids doing the work manually per-component in
Samba, which is a performance hog.

I see FreeBSD openat() has O_RESOLVE_BENEATH and you were talking about
adding support here

<https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-13-0-beta-experiences.98936/page-2#post-685088>

I see a bunch of MRs in the work from you on gitlab:

<https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests?scope=all&state=opened&author_username=anodos325>

But none of them seems to be about this particular issue.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba