Wiki: 64 bit printer drivers

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 4 11:20:41 UTC 2023

On 04/01/2023 10:26, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> On 1/4/23 11:03, Rowland Penny via samba-technical wrote:> OK, so just
> the default changed, but where is this documented ?
> man smb.conf "spoolss: architecture". See also
> c587685dde2448d1f68ada47ce5ad42b02a118ce.
>
> Cheers!
> -slow

Yes, I can see this in 'man smb.conf':

        spoolss: architecture (G)

            Windows spoolss print clients only allow association of
server-side
            drivers with printers when the driver architecture matches the
            advertised print server architecture. Samba's spoolss print
server
            architecture can be changed using this parameter.

            Default: spoolss: architecture = Windows x64

            Example: spoolss: architecture = Windows NT x86

I have no idea when this was changed, because after reading all the
4.x.x release pages here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Features_added/changed_(by_release)

I can only find this:

Samba 4.6.0

     Release Notes for Samba 4.6.0
     March 7, 2017

Release Announcements

NEW FEATURES/CHANGES

Printing

Support for uploading printer drivers from newer Windows clients
(Windows 10) has been added until our implementation of [MS-PAR]
protocol is ready. Several issues with uploading different printing
drivers have been addressed.

The OS Version for the printing server has been increased to announce
Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. If a driver needs a newer version then you
should check the smb.conf manpage for details.

Nothing there that mentions spoolss and there was nothing in the
smb.conf changes section.

Rowland