samba-tool domain backup with lmdb on btrfs fails

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Tue Feb 14 15:39:59 UTC 2023

Hi,

I've discovered on my Fedora 37 system that all tests related to domain backup
fail. The strange thing is that I can't reliably reproduce it, I see reliably
two different errors:

lib/ldb/ldb_key_value/ldb_kv_search.c:162: Invalid data for index
DN=@INDEXLIST

or

lib/ldb/ldb_mdb/ldb_mdb.c:419: MDB corrupted for key [ DN=@OPTIONS]

ldb: Improve debug outout
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/2936

It the tests worked just fine on my other system with openSUSE Tumbleweed. So
I've tried to track it down. My home directory on openSUSE Tumbleweed is ext4
and on Fedora 37 my home is btrfs.

So I created a btrfs filesystem on Tumbleweed and could reproduce the issue.
The next thing I did is replace the compression algorithm for the domain
backup tarball to gzip and it also failed.

Now the question is if lmdb or btrfs needs a fix and how to create a minimal
reproducer. As I never worked on this codepath, pointers and ideas would be
really helpful!

Best regards

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D