Does the CreateDisposition flag of a client depend on Server's response ?

Tom Talpey tom at talpey.com
Sat Feb 4 02:35:28 UTC 2023

On 2/3/2023 12:50 PM, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2023 at 08:51:57PM +0530, varun mittal wrote:
>>   I was able to narrow it down to the "Named Streams" bit in
>>   "FileFSAttributeInformation" response.
>>   When this value is toggled from 0 to 1, as is advertised by
>>   `streams_xattr` VFS module, Robocopy
>>   switched from FILE_OPEN to FILE_OPEN_IF.
>>   Thanks
>
> Thanks for tracking that down. What strange behavior.
> I can't see why having a stream would make the open
> change to optionally creating the file, but it's good
> info to know. Thanks for posting the follow-up to
> the list !

It's not the presence af a stream, it's that the fileystem supports
named streams. It's getting that from a FileFsAttributeInformation
on the root directory.

Robocopy has a very broad range of OS- and FS-dependent behaviors
and optimizations. I bet there's some combination of its 1000-odd
commandline options that can change this.

Varun, what exact robocopy command are you seeing this from?

Tom.