Drop RHEL 7 / CentOS 7 support and move to Python 3.8 minimum?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 20 23:52:11 UTC 2023

On Sat, 2023-08-19 at 20:06 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Friday, 18 August 2023 02:08:00 CEST Andrew Bartlett via samba-
> technical
> wrote:
> > I would note that times when we didn't line up the CI version and
> > Python 'supported' version, it kept breaking.
> > I note that RHEL7 ends 'maintenance' in June 2024, just after the
> > 4.20
> > release March 2024
> > https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/end-maintenance-red-hat-enterprise-linux-7-al
> >
> > most-here Those dates I think give good cause to drop CentOS 7, but
> > other
> > views still welcome.
>
> I'm fine with dropping Python 3.6 support for Samba 4.20.

Thanks.

So far we seem to be missing the markdown and dns packages for Python
3.8 on Centos8 Stream.  Do you know where I might find these packages,
or how we might get them to become packaged?

The other important but not totally vital packages I couldn't find for
Python 3.8 was setproctitle and gpg.

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/3231

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions