SMB3 Posix Setinfo class?

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Mon Sep 26 17:12:28 UTC 2022

Currently I've defined in the smb3 posix spec a set info request to use
the FilePosixInformation class defined here:

https://codeberg.org/dmulder/smb3_posix_spec#2-2-34-1-fileposixinformation

I noticed that MS-FSCC (section 2.4) defines different info classes for
set and query.

It seems to me that FilePosixInformation, as it's currently defined, is
better defined as a query only class. Most of the attributes are not
modifiable via a setinfo. I think we should define an additional info
class for setinfo, allowing you to set POSIXPerms (any other attributes
make sense here?).

Either way, I don't think anyone has implemented setinfo for
FilePosixInformation anyway (it's not in Samba at least).

Thoughts?

--
David Mulder
Labs Software Engineer, Samba