IPv6 and commit d882add695bbd5ea03961c08ac2c0380fbf2947b

Nathaniel W. Turner nathanielwyliet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 22:00:50 UTC 2022

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 12:12 PM Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 09:20:04PM -0700, Jeremy Allison via
> samba-technical wrote:
> >Change the API for dsgetdcname() so the caller
> >can specify if they want IPv6 or IPv4. Don't
> >return more than one address - we don't want
> >to double the lookup time for a down-DC.
>
> Probably should be a 'bool ip_v6_only' parameter.
> Only set it if the client has only IPv6 addresses
> available.

Thank you very much for the pointers. I explored this approach a bit and
got as far as hacking together
https://gitlab.com/nathanielwyliet/samba/-/commit/efcfe8f0380c44abd52082073b7c473c153caae3

However, I quickly realized that doesn't really work for all the use cases
I care about, as it puts a burden on the callers to set up smb.conf just
right. Pushing the complexity up the call stack doesn't feel like a great
solution, especially when most parts of samba already handle this scenario
correctly without special configuration.

My second attempt at hacking something together is at
https://gitlab.com/nathanielwyliet/samba/-/merge_requests/1