Using regcomp/regexec in code - are POSIX extended regular expressions available all archs?

Matt Grant matt at mattgrant.net.nz
Fri Sep 9 23:19:13 UTC 2022

My apologies about this to everyone,  A further explanation:

I am a Linux/Unix  grey beard from the early Nineties, so have memories of
the system library regular expression mess from even up to the early
2000s.  After reading various *BSD and other system man pages on regexp(3)
- old messy regexp ABI/API, and regex(3) the POSIX regex implementation
which is the one used in Samba have realised that we can use this to our
advantage.

(Perl and Python and libpcre2 are the same code bases on different systems,
so I have always used these in preference)

My current inclination is  still to be cautious about doing very complex
extended POSIX regular expressions in our code base as there are bound to
be corner cases we run into between the different system implementations.
Please correct me on this assessment if I am wrong.

Thank you for being patient with me.