Could we move to GnuTLS 3.7 minimum and Ubuntu 22.04 as our primary testing distribution?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 24 21:24:17 UTC 2022

It is a bit of work, but I think it would be very worthwhile to upgrade
to Ubuntu 22.04 (replacing Ubuntu 18.04) and GnuTLS 3.6.13 as our
minimum requirements.

We would also need to update OpenSUSE Leap 15.3 to OpenSUSE Leap 15.4
as like Ubuntu 18.04 it doesn't have the package.

For CentOS 7, we are already pulling GnutTLS 3.6.16 from an appstream
repo it seems.

This would allow us to remove the last of the in-tree AES code,  as
well as automatically test the new PBKDF2 based password change code in
SAMR.

This came up because this MR:
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/2753
is not automatically tested as it is behind an #ifdef not triggered on
Ubuntu 18.04

What do folks think?

Solutions