Status towards using OSU OSL for GitLab CI

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 11 05:06:48 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-05-10 at 18:37 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical wrote:
> Am 09.05.22 um 03:58 schrieb Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical:
> > I've been looking into what the critical blockers are before we can
> > fire up the runners at OSU OSL for more than tests.
>
> At least a full pipeline passed! Many thanks!
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba/-/pipelines/523380456
>
> > My current task list (which is what I'm working on, in this order)
> > is:
> >   - provide API keys to cloud_checker.py so it can terminate old
> > Openstack hosts
> >   - test operation with only API keys and not original passwords
> >
> > The next step would be
> >   - Reconfigure runner limits to per-cloud and to match our OSU OSL
> > quota
> >   - Work out link or otherwise between
> > https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/ansible-role-gitlab-runner/-/blob/master/vars/docker-machine/osu-osl.yml
>
> As far as I remember this is not used at all by us.

It looks like gitlab-ci/osu-osl-samba_team.yml has
vars_from: docker-machine/osu-osl

> >   and
> > https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/gitlab-ci/cloud_images.yml
>
> These are used in
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/gitlab-ci/osu-osl-samba_team.yml
> and
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/gitlab-ci/vault_samba_team.yml-REDACTED

BTW, I think the vault yml files have become too complex, so I'll see
if I can rebuild them as public files with only the sensitive stuff in
them.  It should also allow more of the same settings to be used
between test and production, and allow a clearer version control
history.

> With this commit I did today:
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/commit/15cbe2f06036d6a7ac5a12fce0a4bd7193797d05
> we should be able to login into the runner as root and inspect
> /etc/gitlab-runner/config.toml

OK.  Otherwise login would have been as 'ubuntu' which is normal in
cloud images.

> >   - engage with SFC via the PLC to get commercial terms with OSU
> > OSL
> > agreed.
> >
> > In terms of our fallback position:
> >
> > I would note that while it would not be ideal to allow all our jobs
> > run at Rackspace, the cost increase ($700 per month I think -
> > 150,000
> > [avarage mins] / 60 [mins per hour] * 0.28 [price for smaller
> > rackspace
> > VMs]) is not great, but not nightmare stuff either.
>
> Maybe we can run both and spreed the load?

We could do that, for a price.

Solutions