Status towards using OSU OSL for GitLab CI

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue May 10 16:37:58 UTC 2022

Am 09.05.22 um 03:58 schrieb Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical:
> I've been looking into what the critical blockers are before we can
> fire up the runners at OSU OSL for more than tests.

At least a full pipeline passed! Many thanks!
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba/-/pipelines/523380456

> My current task list (which is what I'm working on, in this order) is:
>   - provide API keys to cloud_checker.py so it can terminate old
> Openstack hosts
>   - test operation with only API keys and not original passwords
>
> The next step would be
>   - Reconfigure runner limits to per-cloud and to match our OSU OSL
> quota
>   - Work out link or otherwise between
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/ansible-role-gitlab-runner/-/blob/master/vars/docker-machine/osu-osl.yml

As far as I remember this is not used at all by us.

>   and
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/gitlab-ci/cloud_images.yml

These are used in
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/gitlab-ci/osu-osl-samba_team.yml
and
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/blob/master/gitlab-ci/vault_samba_team.yml-REDACTED

With this commit I did today:
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/gitlab-runner/samba-cloud-autobuild/-/commit/15cbe2f06036d6a7ac5a12fce0a4bd7193797d05
we should be able to login into the runner as root and inspect /etc/gitlab-runner/config.toml

>   - engage with SFC via the PLC to get commercial terms with OSU OSL
> agreed.
>
> In terms of our fallback position:
>
> I would note that while it would not be ideal to allow all our jobs to
> run at Rackspace, the cost increase ($700 per month I think - 150,000
> [avarage mins] / 60 [mins per hour] * 0.28 [price for smaller rackspace
> VMs]) is not great, but not nightmare stuff either.

Maybe we can run both and spreed the load?

metze