Can someone try buildar for building our bootstrap CI images?

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri May 6 09:33:24 UTC 2022

On Friday, May 6, 2022 4:57:23 AM CEST Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> With GitLab CI starting to be limited soon, it would be really helpful
> if building a new image for our CI tooling didn't require a privileged
> docker, as we don't want to enable that.
>
> We do this in our bootstrap system, triggered when we want new images
> as the dependencies have changed.
>
> Currently we rely on the fact that the shared runners provided by
> gitlab.com allow privileged operation.
>
> But there are tools that replace docker that claim to allow this, eg
> buildar per
> https://codefresh.io/devops/docker-images-without-docker-practical-guide/
>
> It would be awesome if someone could have a practical look at this and
> if it really works in our use case propose some patches to move us from
> privileged docker to buildar, yet still upload to the same GitLab
> registry.

With podman you normally use buildah which has a rootless mode:

https://github.com/containers/buildah/blob/main/docs/tutorials/04-include-in-your-build-tool.md#rootless-mode

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D