Offline question - waf install recompiles another 4k files after waf build built its own 4k?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Mar 31 08:05:36 UTC 2022

31.03.2022 10:51, Kees van Vloten via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> I am following the discussion on samba-technical around building packages for Debian, which you take part in as Samba team-member.
>
> I am quite suprised that no one has pointed a Louis' packaging work so far. He is doing exactly the same a what Michael wants to achieve, or am I
> completely mistaken?

We're working with him since the beginning of my involvement.
Actually I started this with a hope to help a bit - if maybe
he has not enough time or something small is missing ;)

Unfortunately it turned out he has very little expirence, ditto
for the previous maintainer of the samba package in Debian.
And, as also has been discovered, the debian packaging instructions
needed much more love than they received in a long time (like this
PYTHONHASHSEED thing for example, - the prob has been in debian for
years).

Louis did it as long as it Just Worked (after adjusting version inf).
But with 4.16, nothing worked anymore :)  So here we are.

Well, the package is almost ready, what's left is just small issues
here and there.  I'm waiting for the ongoing python3 transition in
Debian to settle down before uploading the new samba to debian, and
meanwhile discover various other fun issues to solve :)

And Louis knows what's going on. He just can't help because the
current situation requires far better overall expirience than he
has.

Thanks!

/mjt