ctdb nfs rquotad: inconsistency between startup and checks

Andreas Hasenack andreas at canonical.com
Wed Mar 16 18:27:08 UTC 2022

Hi,

in ctdb/config/nfs-linux-kernel-callout, nfs_rquotad_service contains
the name of the service that starts/stops the rpc.rquotad daemon.

If that name is defined, basic_start() and basic_stop() will,
respectively, use the service command to start/stop it. For example,
basic_start():
basic_start ()
{
    case "$1" in
    nfs)
        if [ -n "$nfs_rquotad_service" ] ; then
            service "$nfs_rquotad_service" start
        fi

So if you don't define nfs_rquotad_service, it won't be started.

The nfs event script, however, behaves differently, as there is a
specific check for rpc.rquotad in
ctdb/config/nfs-checks.d/50.rquotad.check. Due to that check, if
rpc.rquotad isn't running, it will be started, either via service
$nfs_rquotad_service start, or a manual direct invocation of the
binary.

In other words, there doesn't seem to be a way to not have rpc.rquotad
running. Either the callout will start it, or the event script via the
check. And if you don't have it installed, they will fail. Is this
desired?

I'm having a problem in a scenario where the server only exports (via
nfs) gluster mount points, for which, as far as I know, rpc.rquotad is
useless, and I would prefer to not run it.