tevent: reproducible-builds: build path embedded in various libraries

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Mar 12 22:47:13 UTC 2022

On Sat, 2022-03-12 at 13:53 -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2022-03-07, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I would rather this be discussed and implemented upstream.
> >
> > For one, the tevent build system is shared with the rest of Samba, and
> > if possible this should be implemented by default for all 'make
> > install' runs, just as we do to strip out the bin/default from -rpath.
>
> Originally reported as https://bugs.debian.org/1006863 where I proposed
> passing additional arguments via CFLAGS in the debian build system.
>
> Attached is a proof of concept patch that works by adding the argument
> to CFLAGS by patching the upstream buildsystem.
>
> The patch is bit ugly in how it derives the top level source directory
> and likely error-prone... a cleaner way of going about that would be
> much appreciated!
>
> It also requires gcc 8+ or clang 10+ ... making it detect weather the
> argument was supported and only adding it conditionally might be
> desireable.

testflags=True should be doing that, the CI should help determine if
that works for this option.

> I am not too familiar with samba project processes, let me know if
> there's a better place to send this!

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Contribute shows how to open a Merge
Request for samba.  Once you get a gitlab username let me know and you
can skip to using our shared development repo for a full CI.

conf.env.srcdir should get you the srcdir you need.

I guess my main concern is once Samba is packaged etc, can we still get
a full backtrace?  How does this interact with debug packages etc?

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)        https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Team Member (since 2001)  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT    https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba