How to write unit tests for dns-updates-allow-deny

Matt Grant matt at mattgrant.net.nz
Sun Jun 19 23:43:51 UTC 2022

Hi!

Have a draft merge request up at:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/2271

I am looking for someone to help me get the unit tests written for merging
into Samba 4.17 please. (Uri Simchoni, are you available again please?)

This has been around for some time, but I have finally got everything else
to the point where I can get this done.

Main issue is that I need to be able to do DNS requests from different
source addresses into the SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS server in the test hook up.
Currently python/samba/tests/dns_forwarder.py only does them from 127.0.0.1
or ::1.  Multiple sources are needed as the Samba test framework can only
use a single smb.conf for a whole test run (as far as I understand it).

How can we get:

1) multiple 192.168.x.x and IPv6 ULA addresses set up in the test framework?

2) Create DNS requests from these addresses (probably simple once 1) is
done)?

Comments please.

Thank you!

Matt Grant