More Podman work needed

Uri Simchoni uri at samba.org
Wed Jun 8 20:46:49 UTC 2022

Well,

I tried simply starting off with quay.io/centos/centos:stream9 (and then
stream8) and it failed
(https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/pipelines/559016078). I
then tried using the existing quay.io/podman/stable:latest image and
installing diffutils on top and it seems to work fine (I hope I don't
jump to conclusions -
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/pipelines/559093380).

Then I took a closer look at the recipe for building
quay.io/podman/stable, which you can find here -
https://github.com/containers/podman/tree/main/contrib/podmanimage/stable (Containerfile
must be the RedHat-speak for Dockerfile), and as you can observe they
pull some tricks to make things work - install fuse-overlayfs and apply
a special configuration. Seems like I was really lucky to pick that image...

I'd argue that our requirements are "stock POSIX + diff + podman", *but*
podman installation is not a default one to make it runnable within a
Docker container.

I estimate that any future instability might come from the podman side
and not from the Fedora base OS side, and therefore we're better off not
maintaining special podman tricks and relying instead on the maintained
quay.io/podman/stable:latest image, even though it is based on Fedora.
We had some bad experience but hopefully it will not repeat itself.

I would not lock the quay.io/podman/stable to some tag we know is
working, because it prevents us from receiving security updates.

Thanks,
Uri.