More Podman work needed

Uri Simchoni uri at samba.org
Wed Jun 8 14:36:53 UTC 2022

I chose the quay.io/podman/stable image because it seemed to have
everything we need to carry out the process but come to think of it, I
see no harm in installing packages as a preliminary step in the build
pipeline. The extra cost of installing packages isn't significant
considering that we rebuild images less than once per week.

So we can start with centos/centos:stream9 and install podman and
diffutils and whatever else is needed as a first step.

One thing that did strike me as odd concerning
quay.io/centos/centos:stream9 was that when installing packages I had to
OK the installation of a GPG key, and I wonder why those don't come
pre-installed on the image and how can I trust the repository if I don't
have the keys pre-installed (or maybe I can just forget about package
signatures, if we already trust distro repos in the image building process).

Does that seem reasonable?