Reintroduce netgroups support?

Samuel Cabrero scabrero at samba.org
Fri Jun 3 10:00:16 UTC 2022

Hi,

I have received some complains after we dropped netgroups support in
Samba 4.15.0. Our release notes only mention we dropped NIS but
netgroups went with it.

Some people still use netgroups without NIS, stored in LDAP and made
available to the system through nss_sss, but it is also possible to use
/etc/netgroups.

I had a look to the removed code and I think it is possible to
reintroduce netgroups support independently from NIS, using the
getdomainname() function from glibc instead of yp_get_default_domain()
from libnsl.

Should we bring back netgroups support?

--
Samuel