Unbecome Root in VFS Module

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Mon Jan 10 09:36:44 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-05 at 18:41 -0800 Jeremy Allison via samba-technical sent off:
> It most certainly should work - if you notice, it's
> very common for Samba to do:
>
> become_root()
> ... do privileged operation..
> unbecome_root()
>
> > Is there another way to change back to normal UID/GID from within the
> > VFS module?
>
> Explain "but it did not work" more completely please :-).

I think what he means is a related problem like in
173923c41aee6533532024ece8cd0fb62b06d316 . With NFS we should really not do
become_root usually I think. As we don't know if the underlaying filesystem is
NFS or not, how about querying the quota without root first and fall back to
root if it fails? (Or the other way round?)

Björn