Samba on OS/2 derivative ArcaOS

Paul Smedley paul at smedley.id.au
Thu Feb 10 05:38:49 UTC 2022

Hey Andrew,

On 10/2/22 15:08, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-02-10 at 08:58 +1030, Paul Smedley via samba-technical
> wrote:
>> Hey Andrew,
>>
>> On 9/2/22 08:44, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
>>> Björn, after reading the discussion here is your position still
>>> that we
>>> need to retain LanMan authentication for DOS, OS/2, Win3.11 and
>>> Win9X?
>>
>> I'm not Björn, but speaking as someone who has some involvement in
>> ArcaOS (https://www.arcanoae.com/) which is the modern day successor
>> OS/2, ArcaOS ships a client currently based on Samba 4.11.x so there
>> is
>> a pathway for OS/2 users to update their CIFS.
>
> It would be great to get that updated to current Samba, as Samba 4.11
> is out of support.  Is there any particular reason a more modern
> version isn't used?

I had forked the Ubuntu focal code in order to minimise the level of
update - but of course - now that code has moved to 4.13.

The ultimate goal is to get a working smbd as well - 4.12 introduced the
*at (eg openat, unlinkat) api - which aren't supported by the libc
runtime I'm using.

I'm intending to update to at least the 4.13 code now used by Focal asap
(at least for the client) - my day job keeps interfering though!

As I recall, the recent security fixes have been file server or AD
related - those components aren't currently in ArcaOS - so I don't think
the 4.11 client is a major concern -  particular compared to the old IBM
Peer client :)

Cheers,

Paul