samba-tool error messages: what needs fixing most?

Douglas Bagnall dbagnall at samba.org
Wed Aug 24 01:22:55 UTC 2022

hi,

If you have used samba-tool, you will be aware that it often reports
simple problems with long messages talking about exceptions and line
numbers and file names and all-caps error codes. Sometimes, well,
usually, these messages turn out to mean something like "bad username or
password" or "samba.example.com is not a real address".

Every so often (but less often than you'd expect) somebody has the
genius idea that samba-tool could just describe the underlying issue,
and refrain from the detailed account of subsequent woe. Even Samba
Developers have that idea, sometimes, but then they look and think "no,
too hard" and get back to debugging clustered inter-forest symlink
tevent races with S4U2SELF SPOOLSS ntlmssp_states (or winbind for the
extremophiles). But NOW I, fully sober, have decided to *actually* try.
Which leads to the question in the subject: which messages need fixing?

So *please* reply to this message with a samba-tool line that says
something really stupid, and suggest a better message.

It won't be possible to fix every example, and I will try to be
cautious. It is worse to hide real problems than to expose everyone to
horrible noise.

Q: But won't this break the Application Search-engine Interface (ASI)?
How will we be able to find old posts on stac^H^H^H^H
https://lists.samba.org that quote the old nonsensical message?