ctdb client python bindings

Andrew Walker awalker at ixsystems.com
Thu Apr 28 15:03:54 UTC 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 4:14 AM Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate the efforts to implement python bindings for ctdb client
> interfaces.  However, I fail to understand the motivation behind this
> work.  Is there a requirement from some applications to have a python
> interface to CTDB?  Or do you have some other plans?

Well, I was working on this because our own (truenas) has python-based
middleware and I was wanting to be able to get ctdb status info without
having to launch subprocesses. I was also planning to write python-based
collectd plugin to gather stats from ctdb at configurable intervals.

> In the past, Martin and I had considered developing python bindings
> for client interfaces.  The motivation there was to rewrite the ctdb
> tool in python. However, we never got around to doing that.

That's a good idea. I could go that route, which would reduce code
duplication. Basically keep existing behaviors and arguments for ctdb tool,
but have it be python tool. Then it will probably not increase maintenance
load.