downstream packaging of smbtorture and other testing tools

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Apr 8 08:25:37 UTC 2022

Hi!

In Debian, for a long time we ship samba-testsuite package which includes
smbtorture binary (the main part) and a few other similar tools, --
gentest locktest masktest ndrdump.  Apparently fedora/redhat also ships
a similar package.

I found no good usage examples for these (smbtorture manpage does not
make it clearly), so I asked a (seemingly simple) question about what
it is and how to use it.

Is this tool set useful for a linux distribution somehow?  Or maybe it
should be built in -enable-selftest mode only, for internal usage?

Thanks,

/mjt