What determines RUNPATH in installed libs?

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Wed Apr 6 00:41:36 UTC 2022

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:

> On Tue, 2022-04-05 at 16:43 -0700, Tim Rice via samba-technical wrote:
> > If I configure samba-4.10.16 with these options,
>
> I realise your question is generic, but before someone else says it,
> please don't configure Samba 4.10, it is long out of support ;-)

Totally understood. Unfortunatly my 4.15.3 build stopped at [2378/4098]
and I discovered XXat syscalls were required. Not on UnixWare yet.
(and centos7 does have security patches)

> >         --libdir=/opt/lib/samba
> >         --with-modulesdir=/opt/lib/samba
> >         --with-privatelibdir=/opt/lib/samba/private
> > most libs will get installed with the correct RUNPATH but these
> >     bin/default/lib/util/libsamba-modules-samba4.inst.so
> >     bin/default/libcli/registry/libutil-reg-samba4.inst.so
> >     bin/default/libcli/util/python-ntstatus.inst.cpython-39.so
> >     bin/default/libcli/util/python-werror.inst.cpython-39.so
> >     bin/default/source3/libmessages-util-samba4.inst.so
> >     bin/default/source3/libsmbldap.inst.so
> >     bin/default/source4/lib/samba3/libsmbpasswdparser-samba4.inst.so
> >     bin/default/nsswitch/stress-nss-libwbclient.inst
> >     bin/default/source3/smbd/notifyd/notifyd-tests.inst
> >     bin/default/source3/versiontest.inst
> > will get installed with RUNPATH /opt/lib/samba and yet they all
> > need libs from /opt/lib/samba/private.
>
> Yes, this is expected.  Bits of samba require other bits of Samba that
> are not public interfaces, but are built as shared libraries to avoid
> duplication of compiled code (with all the problems that creates).

Expected to have a RUNPATH /opt/lib/samba when it needs
RUNPATH /opt/lib/samba/private:/opt/lib/samba ?
As I said, most of the samba libs have the correct RUNPATH

> > Are the dependencies listed somewhere in one of the files in the
> > source tree?
>
> The deps= lines in the wscript
>
> > Are they calculated at configure time?
> > Are they calculated at build time?
>
> waf, our build system, calculates this.

OK, thanks. I'll dig in and see what's missing.

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents
tim at multitalents.net