doing a test build of samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 4 21:51:55 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-04-04 at 19:56 +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical
wrote:
> 04.04.2022 13:30, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical wrote:
> ..
> > I've been told that the --enable-selftest build should not be
> > used to install things for production.
>
> So I took a look at what --enable-selftest actually does. Here's the
> list, for reference:
>
> two new functions (not used in samba code) now return true:
>   is_selftest_enabled is_ntvfs_fileserver_built
>
> two new "printers": test and lvp
>
> dns lookups can use file pointed to by $RESOLV_CONF variable if set,
> instead of using system-wide /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> 2 ipc messages are enabled: sleep and inject (fault injection)
>

> build enables -D WITH_NTVFS_FILESERVER=1.
> This one, in turn does this:

This MUST NOT be enabled in production, as Samba upstream provides no
security support for this code, which remains because it is hard work
to remove due to the support it provides to some of our tests.

If you want to do a selftest build, do a selftest build but don't put
it into the production binaries.

If Debian can't handle that, talk to Debian :-)

Sorry,

Solutions