4.15.3 release date please

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Nov 27 04:29:22 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-11-27 at 16:40 +1300, Matt Grant via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Could someone please tell me when this is due?
>
>  Want to roll out a patch at work, but 4.15.2 seemed rushed, with
> regressions, and don't want to break my employers mission critical Samba
> servers at this point.

Kia Ora Matt,

Your employers mission critical servers should be patched to 4.15.2 or
another of our security releases, otherwise effectively you have
promoted all users to 'domain administrator'.

As to the releases being rushed/regressions, we are only aware of
issues around the deliberate change to nsswitch name lookups in the
minority case where Samba is in a AD Domain but nss_winbind is not in
used (rare and previously untested, we added tests it tuns out not
enough tests) or when in MIT realm (incredibly rare, and untested).

This deliberate change was required to address the security issue, but
we continue to seek to minimise the impact.

Given the scope of issues addressed in 4.15.3, I'm incredibly proud of
the low rate of reported regressions so far.

However, be advised that per
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Release_Planning_for_Samba_4.15
Wednesday, December 8 2021 - Planned release date for Samba 4.15.3.

Andrew Bartlett (he/him)        https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Team Member (since 2001)  https://samba.org
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT    https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba