simple password sync method

d tbsky tbskyd at gmail.com
Tue May 4 23:52:32 UTC 2021

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> On Tue, 2021-05-04 at 15:39 +0800, d tbsky via samba-technical wrote:
> If you know the target password type (eg crypt()) then we can store
> some such passwords without the need for the GPG key, and run the sync
> from there.
>
> eg set "password hash userPassword schemes = CryptSHA512"
>
> We won't be adding the 'samba3' style password sync to the AD DC, due
> to locking requirements.  At the point where we can process a password
> sync, we have to lock the DB against all other changes, and it would
> risk service to all other users to start making calls at this point.

  I can not predict the password type of the service may need sync.
but thanks a lot for the explanation so I can understand why it won't
be implemented.
I assume you mean system will lock the DB when password change so it
can not process other request at the same time.
if that's true, then a correct ugly hack to trigger a script would
just cause system slow down instead of horrible race condition?