Drop LM password support?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 25 00:51:04 UTC 2021

Thinking of things to drop from Samba, I would like to drop LM password
support, at least from the AD DC.

We have already deprecated the option, and LanMan authentication on the
AD DC just makes no sense at all, but I've seen configurations with it
enabled (where folks turn everything on hoping things might start
working).

For the file server it is a bit less clear-cut, but I wonder if it is
better for DOS/Win9X clients (without the NTLMv2 upgrade) to do IP
based authentication and guest access rather than this.

Solutions