Kerberos support on Samba

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Mar 4 22:59:42 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 08:57:21PM +0530, Vikram Bharti via samba-technical wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Was going through this.
>https://github.com/samba-team/samba/blob/master/source3/include/libsmbclient.h
>
>And I found that we do support Kerberos.  Please correct my understanding
>

>Assumption 1:- does this mean if a user x has permission on SMB share then
>he can access SMB shares by sending credentials to callback API and Samba
>can use those tokens to forward it to SMB shares and provide the access?
>What i understand from t*estBrowse *example , just enable the Kerberos flag
>and pass the user credential to call back function. Which internally uses
>Kinit to pass the credentials and get TGT and TGS exchanged. And then
>libsmbclient forward the request to SMB shares with  TGS received and
>initiate TCP session.

What do you mean by:

"Samba can use those tokens to forward it to SMB
shares and provide the access?"

Can you be really clear as to what you're asking
for here because I don't currently understand it :-).

>Assumption 2:- it's only possible to get the token for the service account
>set up for a computer account as mentioned below.
>
>Setspn -s http/<computer-name>.<domain-name> <domain-user-account>
>RegardsVikram

Setspn is a Windows client command.

Again, what does:

"it's only possible to get the token for the service account"

mean for Samba ? Windows clients happily use krb5 from user
accounts to talk to Samba servers.