Is it possible to mount a cifs share with kerberos using the machine account (with active directory)

Andrew Walker awalker at ixsystems.com
Sat Jun 12 01:02:01 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:57 PM Steve French via samba-technical <
samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> [...]

IIRC there are some applications that will use the machine account to
perform operations over the network (like backup applications). Whether
this is successful against a Samba server depends on the configured idmap
backend on the Samba server. If idmap_rid or idmap_autorid are used, then
it _should_ be possible. If you're relying on rfc2307 attributes for
idmapping, then it's probably not possible  since they can't be assigned to
computer accounts IIRC. This is hypothetical, and has caveats. I also
haven't tested with linux clients.