about active/active clustered nfs with ctdb

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:13:02 UTC 2021

Hi,

I havent worked on ctdb in ages, but the iscsi scripts in ctdb is
probably not suitable for your use case.
It is aimed at when you want to export an LUN via a specific
targetname from the ctdb cluster to external iscsi clients
and basically have a active/passive failover mode for the target/lun
pairs across nodes.

What you try to do is have iscsi used internally for storage and then
have a file system ontop these luns and export then as NFS shares to
to nfs clients.
That could be done, I guess, but is not what I think the current
scripts do so you might have to write a bunch of new eventscripts to
do what you want.

The nfs support in the eventscripts also might be problematic. When I
worked on them they were only aimed at nfsv3.
As nfsv4 is displacing v3 quite rapidly, these scripts may or may not
work for you.
But they also were aimed at an active/active configuration where all
the data is shared from a common cluster backend and is available
active/active through each node.
I am not sure how well the current scripts will work with nfsv4 since
there are so much more state involved.

Since you basically want each share to be handled in a active/passive
failover mode I think pacemaker will be a much better
fit an easier solution than trying to push a acrive/passive failover
model into ctdb.

Pacemaker as you said does need a shared resource to handle safe
failover. In ctdb this is mostly handled by the shared backend cluster
filesystem that ctdb is designed to sit ontop of.
In a pacemaker solution, as you don not have a backend filesystem with
coherent locking, you will need a different solution to avoid
split-brain.
I am no longer familiar at all with current best practice for
pacemaker but I think having a shared, high-available SCSI resource
that supports PersistentReservation could be a solution.
Using PR to ensure that only one node at a time is active.
But, this is all very old and possibly obsolete understanding of pacemaker.

TL;DR
Still, I think as you want active/passive failover for your shares
pacemaker is likely what you want and not ctdb.
The pacemaker folks will know much better how you would set these
systems up than I do.

regards
ronnie s