"make test" of samba master fails in a privileged Linux container

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Feb 28 21:55:48 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-02-27 at 15:18 +0000, Thomas via samba-technical wrote:
> I did clone the samba git repo within a privileged Debian 10 LXC.
> "configure" and "make" completed successful but "make test" fails
> with:
>
> FAILED (183 failures, 0 errors and 2 unexpected successes in 63
> testsuites)
>
> It is an unmodified build of samba master. What am I missing ?
> Is it not possible to successfully run "make test" in a privileged
> Linux container ?

I think you will find that 'make test' fails also on a full VM, but if
you like you can check if you want to spend the time and CPU cycles.

Untested code is broken code and these days 'make test' is only run in
chunks as part of our autobuild and GitLab CI process, so it is no
shock to learn that it fails as a whole.

I'm pretty sure it has been like that for a while.

Patches to make 'make test' require a TESTS= parameter might be a good
idea, to set expectations correctly, users wanting to at least run over
the whole testsuite anyway could run with "TESTS=.".

Sorry,

Solutions