Duplicate SMB file_ids leading to Windows client cache poisoning

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Fri Dec 10 13:18:40 UTC 2021

On 12/10/21 12:49, Andrew Walker wrote:
> Correct?

exactly. Thanks for digging out the references. Didn't remember I ever
wrote such a comprehensive summary. :)

So what shall we do? Back to inode numbers? I've been recommending
fruit:zero_file_id=yes to customers who've been reporting strange issues
with Mac clients. That causes Samba to return 0 file-ids which has been
problematic in the past, but it seems to be working atm.

Tom, do you know if it using any of the mentioned fallbacks from MS-FSCC:

   For file systems that do not support a 64-bit file ID,
   this field MUST be set to 0, and MUST be ignored.

   For files for which a unique 64-bit file ID cannot be
   established, this field MUST be set to 0xffffffffffffffff,
   and MUST be ignored.

would be a way forward? Macs can deal with 0, not sure about UINT64_MAX.

Thanks!
-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/