[Modern Hemdal Import] Is it a bird, is it a plane, no, its...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 6 08:20:48 UTC 2021

A fully-green pipeline of a Heimdal import:
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/pipelines/423099369

Featuring:
 - Full(er) FAST support via the work by Luke Howard (CC'ed) to import
the improvements by Apple for TGS-REQ FAST support
 - A modern Heimdal updating Samba from the 10-year old copy we were
running (which has FAST for AS-REQ)
 - (essentially) No local patches on the Samba side (they are instead
in lorikeet-heimdal and being made ready to be pushed upstream.

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/commits/jsutton24/import-lorikeet-heimdal-202112010221-patched-plus-build
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/lorikeet-heimdal/-/commits/lorikeet-heimdal-202112010221-patched/

Upstream Heimdal has been very patient with us as we submit the
patches, and I say thanks particularly to Luke Howard and Jeffrey
Altman.

https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal/pulls

Rather than the previous approach of reverting recent changes and
rebaseing the lorikeet-heimdal development tree we have been passing
around for the past few years, this time I just keep the build system
patches but none of the previous imports.  This is cleaner, but does
mean we have one massive 'import' commit.

I expect to trim the tree back to just a import commit, a build system
fix commit and then any test updates needed.

We now take a full Heimdal tree, like we do for the other third_party/
software we carry.  This means we have imported a lot of files we don't
use, but this is on the flip side easier to verify and continue.  (We
still only build bits of Heimdal, and do so with Samba's, not Heimdal's
build system).

I do want to say a big thanks to everyone who has worked on this
effort.  We are almost there!

In particular (alphabetically):
 - Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org>
 - Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
 - Andrew Tridgell <tridge at samba.org>
 - Chris Lamb <chris at chris-lamb.co.uk>
 - Gary Lockyer <gary at catalyst.net.nz>
 - Günther Deschner <gd at samba.org>
 - Isaac Boukris <iboukris at gmail.com>
 - Jeffrey Altman <jaltman at secure-endpoints.com>
 - Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org>
 - Joseph Sutton <josephsutton at catalyst.net.nz>
 - Love Hornquist Astrand <lha at h5l.org>
 - Luke Howard <lukeh at padl.com>
 - Noel Power <noel.power at suse.com>
 - Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org>
 - Volker Lendecke <vl at samba.org>

(being for commits in lorikeet-heidaml, the import tree and in upstream
Heidmal matching a --grep Samba).

This isn't yet victory, there is still much to do before we merge, but
we are closer than I've sensed in a long time.

What I do ask is for assistance, review and patience as we try to land
this shortly.

Thanks,

Solutions