OSS-fuzz needs some love

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 29 20:09:15 UTC 2021

It looks like OSS-Fuzz upstream has moved to Ubuntu 20.04 - perhaps
only in part - and this has broken Samba on their platform.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/oss-fuzz/issues/detail?id=37748

This in turn seems to have given those of us on the CC for the bugs a
flood of mail complaining that the tests are unreproducible.

An upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 is a good thing, the older 16.04 was the
oldest platform we supported and we had to have a special exception to
allow the old python found there.  Leaving 16.04 behind will make
upgrading our minimum Python and GnuTLS easier in particular.

But this breakage means we won't get fuzzing results for a while until
someone has some time to work out what is broken and fix it.

I know everyone is super-busy, but if by some miracle you are not and
fuzzing is an area of interest then these links might help you help:

https://google.github.io/oss-fuzz/advanced-topics/reproducing/#reproducing-build-failures

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Fuzzing

I'm always happy to give advice and review patches.

Thanks!

Solutions