Building cifs.ko without any support for insecure crypto?

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 10:04:48 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-08-19 at 13:43 +1000, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> [...]
> > > verifies that CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4 isn't set.  The reason that test got added is
> > > because for a short time, CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4 had accidentally been enabled in the
> > > recommended kernel config for Android.  Since "obviously" no one would be using
> > > a completely broken crypto algorithm from 31 years ago, when fixing that bug we
> > > decided to go a bit further and just forbid it from the kernel config.
> > >
> > > I guess we'll have to remove that test for now (assuming that CONFIG_CIFS is to
> > > be allowed at all on an Android device, and that the people who want to use it
> > > don't want to use kerberos which is probably the case).
> > >
> > > It is beyond ridiculous that this is even an issue though, given that MD4 has
> > > been severely compromised for over 25 years.
> > >
> > > One thing which we should seriously consider doing is removing md4 from the
> > > crypto API and moving it into fs/cifs/.  It isn't a valid crypto algorithm, so
> > > anyone who wants to use it should have to maintain it themselves.
> > >

> > +1 to moving the md4 code into fs/cifs, so that the CIFS maintainers
> > can own it and phase it out on their own schedule, and prevent its
> > inadvertent use in other places.
>
> Ok, let me summarize the status and what I think we will need to do in cifs.
>
> DES
> ---
> Removal of DES is not controversial since this only affects SMB1.
> SMB2 has been around since 2006 and it is starting to become viable to at least
> disable the SMB1 protocol by default today.
> There are still servers that only support SMB1 but they are becoming rare.
> I think also Microsoft Windows default to disable (but not remove)
> SMB1 by default
> on some configurations today.
>
> I am proposing that we remove the hard dependency to DES and instead
> make it a soft dependency to "do not build SMB1 if DES is missing".
>
> MD4/MD5/ARC4
> ----------------------
> These are all used together in NTLMSSP authentication today, including
> in the very latest
> versions of the protocol. This is the only authentication mechanism
> available in cifs
> aside from the "extended" kerberos 5 protocol that ActiveDirectory implements.
> As such the vast majority of clients rely on this when accessing SMB servers.
>
> ARC4 is technically possible to remove since it is only used in the
> final stage for KEY_EXCHANGE
> when negotiating the session key. It could be removed but it would
> make NTLMSSP weaker.
> But if we have to move other crypto into fs/cifs anyway we can just as
> well copy ARC4 into fs/cifs.
>
> MD4 is used to create a hash, which is then one of the inputs into
> MD5-HMAC for the core part of the
> NTLMSSP authentication so we would need private versions of at least
> md4 to be copied to fs/cifs as well.
>
> I am proposing that we fork both ARC4 and MD4 and host private

Another way to handle this part is to calculate the hash in userspace
and handle the kernel just the hashes. This would allow you to remove
MD4 from the kernel. I guess it would break putting a password on the
kernel command line, but is that really a thing to do? Kernels do not
boot from cifs shares so you can always use userspace tools (or pass
hexed hashes directly on the command line in a pinch).

> I have patches for both DES removal and forking ARC4 prepared for linux-cifs.
> MD4 will require more work since we use it via the crypto_alloc_hash()
> api but we will do that too.
>
> What about MD5? Is it also scheduled for removal? if so we will need
> to fork it too.

MD5 is still used for a ton of stuff, however it may make sense to
consider moving it in /lib and our of /lib/crypto as it is not usable
in cryptographic settings anymore anyway.

HTH,
Simo.

--
Simo Sorce