Fallback to NTLMSSP allowed if KDC is not reachable?

Shilpa K shilpa.krishnareddy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 10:42:31 UTC 2021

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the response. I was using --user along with -k and provided the
password at the prompt. libnet_join_connect_dc_ipc() has fallback after
kerberos, but not ads_sasl_spnego_bind(). In the
routine ads_sasl_spnego_bind() which is called as part of domain join,
there is this check:

                /* only fallback to NTLMSSP if allowed */
                if (ADS_ERR_OK(status) ||
                    !(ads->auth.flags & ADS_AUTH_ALLOW_NTLMSSP)) {
                        goto done;
                }

It is checking only for the flag and not the password to fallback to
NTLMSSP. Is this expected?

Thanks,
Shilpa