Ubuntu's ADSys

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 26 10:55:23 UTC 2021

On 26/04/2021 11:44, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On ma, 26 huhti 2021, Rowland penny via samba-technical wrote:
>> On 26/04/2021 11:27, Douglas Bagnall via samba-technical wrote:
>>> I noticed that Ubuntu 21.04 was announced with "native Microsoft Active
>>> Directory integration":
>>>
>>> https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-21-04-is-here
>>>
>>> It looks like this is based on a project called "ADSys" (GPLv3, written in
>>> Go), that works as a GPO client.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/ubuntu/adsys
>>>
>>> They use Samba in their tests, as far as I can tell.
>>>

>>> Douglas
>>>

>> Well, if they did use Samba, which version of Samba ? I ask because I tried
>> 21.04 in a VM against my Samba AD domain and it didn't work. No matter what
>> permutation of username I used, I couldn't log in. I found out that 'getent'
>> didn't return any AD users.
>  From my cursory look over the code, there is an assumption that AD users
> all named fully-qualified, e.g. user at ad.domain. @ is hard-coded in
> multiple places. They seem to test it with SSSD.

 From my understanding it is all supposed to be automatic, you just tick
a box during the install and, after the install, you can log in with an
AD user. I tried every permutation of username I could think of:
'username', 'DOMAIN\username', 'username at dns.domain.tld', etc. Nothing
worked, so I logged in as the user I created during the install, opened
a terminal and ran 'getent passwd rowland', this returned nothing, I
checked in AD and the machines object had been created but with mistakes
(wrong SPN etc). It looks like it still has problems.

Rowland