Setting up QtCreator for Samba development

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 9 18:54:09 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-04-09 at 11:54 +0200, Ralph Boehme via samba-technical
wrote:
> Am 4/9/21 um 11:27 AM schrieb Aurélien Aptel:
> > Ralph Boehme via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
> > writes:
> > > if you're open for other IDEs, I've recently looked at Visual
> > > Studio
> > > Code on Linux and that looked amazing. I was just about to dump
> > > my Emacs
> > > setup and switch but then mehhhh! :)
> >
> > You have to resist the lure of the dark side ralph :)
>
> it was tempting, especially after installing
>
> <
> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tuttieee.emacs-mcx
> >

> > But seriously, what did you find particularly amazing? Does it come
> > builtin with good C parsing/analysis/xref?
>
> YES, YES, YES! Out-of-the-box usable code completion in the Samba
> code
> base. Functions, structs, macros, everything just worked what in my
> Emacs setup works for a few weeks and then breaks again for some
> reason
> after updating one component or another.
>
> The biggest showstopper was: it's just BIG and offers A LOT, so
> getting
> to know it would take me too much time. But this is really the first
> IDE
> that looks capabable of rivaling Emacs.

Is there anything that would be useful for us to put in-tree to make
this work better?

I know some of our other IDEs have worked better with a little
integration from the build system, and sometimes we have included the
hooks to help get folks going with Samba development faster.

Solutions