SELinux attributes in Samba domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 15 15:56:51 UTC 2020

On 15/09/2020 16:06, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On ti, 15 syys 2020, Rowland penny via samba-technical wrote:

>>> It depends on a use case, as always. Running Samba server on a client
>>> enrolled into RHEL IdM (FreeIPA) is supported as a technology preview.
>>> This might give you some idea of a direction where supported
>>> configurations are moving.
>>>
>>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/configuring_and_managing_identity_management/setting-up-samba-on-an-idm-domain-member_configuring-and-managing-idm
>>>
>>> Rowland, I think you are overly complicating the situation.  There is a
>>> certain amount of work to do, sure, and we are discussing what is ought
>>> to be done to get that working. There is no need to critically
>>> force-reject anyone attempting to improve our options.
>>>

>> No, Alexander, what I am pointing out is that Samba doesn't really need
>> sssd, so why waste Samba development time on it. If Red-Hat wants to make
>> sssd work with Samba, then that would be a different thing. Mind you, this
>> is just my opinion.
> Re-read my recommendation and you'll see that what I proposed has
> nothing to do with SSSD. The suggestions I gave would work for any client of
> Samba AD DC, including pam_winbind. They aren't for tying anything to
> SSSD, btw.
>
> Let us focus on a technical part of the discussion.

I am all for improving Samba, but only if it doesn't tie Samba to an
outside project that Samba has no control over. Samba has been there
with Openchange and that didn't end well.

This thread started as a discussion with regards to Samba and sssd, it
now seems to have morphed into a 'how can we improve Samba' discussion.
I repeat, I am not anti sssd, it has its place, but not with Samba when
it means setting up smb.conf with a backend outside the control of Samba.

Rowland