winbindd main process hangs on samba-dc

Isaac Boukris iboukris at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 07:13:22 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:54 AM Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 12:06:22PM +0200, Isaac Boukris via samba-technical wrote:
> > I think there is no point trying to maintain domain->online per domain
> > in the parent process, we should just ask the domain child (fork one
> > if needed), and avoid ever trying to talk with a DC (sync) from the
> > main process.
>
> That certainly seems like the correct fix.
>
> OK, I took a look at your change:
>
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/-/commit/5ee90438cc2aa26514f60c7d72a3e854adee0148
>
> and I see what you're doing here. I think
> there still may be some calls that can
> be initiated by wbinfo that cause the
> parent process to try and do domain
> activity and don't go through a child
> DC.

Yeah, we'd need to analyze all the direct parent handlers.
I think maybe we can get rid of fork_child_dc_connect() and its logic
altogether, the parent should just talk to the per-domain child, and
the child can block, and would block eventually anyway, so it should
just connect (i think there may be concurrent per-domain childrens for
a given domain, but I could be imagining). Although I'm yet to
understand how the timers for reconnecting would work, or how they
currently do.

> Can we work together to track these down
> and make sure we invoke a child process
> for them ?

Would love to, thank you!