GSoC 2020 Samba Experience

Aurélien Aptel aaptel at suse.com
Wed Sep 9 11:37:36 UTC 2020

Hi Hezekiah,

Congrats on the completion of your GSoC!

I agree with your comments about the doc not being straightforward for
new users and assuming knowledge of AD and Samba code base being very
large with no overview of what is doing what.

I don't know if you were aware of it but Ralph made a talk this year
trying to explain the codebase a bit. Given the time limit of the talk
and the size of the code he had to pick an area to dig into which might
not be what you were interested in but I think it's a step in the right
direction.

https://sambaxp.org/archive-data-samba/sxp20/sxp20-d2/sxp20-d2t1-8-boehme.mp4

I also agree with the state of packaging in Linux, too many differents
spec file conventions or competiting systems (rpm, deb, pkgbuild...) but
as you said it's not a problem with Samba.

Good luck with your future endeavors :)

Cheers,
--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3